What it is.
True North Peer Navigation is a free navigation program that puts you in touch with someone who has experienced prostate cancer and is trained to support you along your journey.
- Talk to someone about their real experiences – more than just online browsing and statistics.
- Feel comfortable discussing what you are going through with someone who knows what it’s like.
- Take the time you need to ask detailed questions and discuss your options.
- Find the support you need to overcome barriers to your loved one’s care and recovery.
Hear from a Peer Navigator
Why trust it.
True North Peer Navigation was designed and developed by a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and health care professionals, in collaboration with prostate cancer survivors and caregivers to address the supportive care needs of prostate cancer patients and their caregivers from diagnosis onwards.
True North Peer Navigation Provincial Leads
Dr. Arminée Kazanjian
Dr. Jackie Bender
Dr. Robin Urquhart
Patient and Family Caregiver Testimonials
“My meetings with my Peer Navigator were fantastic. She was so helpful and supportive, especially in the early stages of diagnosis and post-surgery when it mattered the most.”
“I just really didn’t have the big picture. We had all these nuts and bolts, but we did not have the big picture until my Peer Navigator stepped in and said “Okay, here’s the big picture.”
“My Peer Navigator was great with the surgery and how you handle incontinence, catheters, navigating doctor’s appointments and things to ask your doctor. Was she ever awesome with that.”
Who it’s for.
True North Peer Navigation is available to patients and their partners/caregivers throughout the entire prostate cancer journey in Canada.
A caregiver is a person who supports someone who has prostate cancer.
CAREGIVER PEER NAVIGATION HELPS WITH:
- Helping a loved one through a diagnosis of prostate cancer.
- Gathering information to support decision making and treatment preparation.
- Supporting a loved one’s recovery and providing care amidst lifestyle changes.
- Handling your needs as a supporter to ensure your personal well being.
Hear from a Peer Navigator couple
How it works.
Support doesn’t have to be complicated.
Based on some basic information that you tell us about your current situation, True North Peer Navigation will pair you with a Caregiver Peer Navigator who will support you along your journey.
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:
- First, contact the Peer Navigation team.
- Then, you will receive an email invitation to fill in some basic information about yourself on the True North Peer Navigation web portal.
- Once logged in, you’ll be matched with a Caregiver Peer Navigator who will support you along your journey.
- You can meet, phone and/or chat online with your Caregiver Peer Navigator when you need someone to talk to.
Hear from a Peer Navigator
Who's behind it.
This work was awarded by Prostate Cancer Canada and is proudly funded by the Movember Foundation.