What it is.
True North Peer Navigation is a free, confidential and easy-to-use, navigation program that puts you in touch with someone who has experienced prostate cancer and is trained to support you through your journey.
- Talk to someone about their real experiences – more than just online browsing and statistics.
- Feel comfortable discussing symptoms and side effects with someone who knows what it’s like.
- Take the time you need to ask detailed questions and discuss your options.
- Get access to an online library with resources for dealing with prostate cancer.
- Find the information and support you need to overcome barriers to your care and recovery.
Hear from a Peer Navigator
Why trust it.
- True North Peer Navigation was designed and developed by a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and health care professionals, in collaboration with men with prostate cancer and their families. It is based on evidence and real experiences.
- Peer Navigators receive specialized training and are supported by a team of healthcare professionals.
- Patients and family caregivers can experience significant benefits.
True North Peer Navigation Provincial Leads
Dr. Arminée Kazanjian
Dr. Jackie Bender
Dr. Robin Urquhart
Patient and Family Caregiver Testimonials
“He was really a very good match. He had had very similar surgeries and treatments. And his personality and his approach and his helpfulness was just particularly good and sensitive and supportive. I couldn’t have asked for a better match. “
“It’s a great place to find someone to talk to who has gone through what you are going through. It’s a great place to get answers to your questions.”
“I think the biggest thing is that it helps to not feel so isolated and so alone.”
Who it’s for.
True North Peer Navigation is available to patients and their family caregivers throughout the entire prostate cancer journey in Canada.
A patient is defined as a man who has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
PEER NAVIGATION IS FOR MEN WHO ARE:
- Undergoing diagnosis of prostate cancer.
- Gathering information, making decisions and preparing for treatment.
- Undergoing treatment for prostate cancer or in the process of recovery.
- Getting back into life after treatment and getting back to what matters most to you.
Hear from a Peer Navigator couple
How it works.
Support doesn’t have to be complicated.
Based on some basic information that you tell us about your current situation, True North Peer Navigation will pair you with a Peer Navigator who will support you along your journey.
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:
- First, contact the True North Peer Navigation team.
- Then, you will receive an email invitation to fill in some basic information about yourself on the True North Peer Navigation web portal.
- Once logged in, you’ll be matched with a Peer Navigator who will support you along your journey and you’ll get access to a resource library about prostate cancer.
- You can meet, phone and/or chat online with your Peer Navigator when you want to talk to someone who’s been there.
Hear from a Peer Navigator
Who's behind it.
This work was awarded by Prostate Cancer Canada and is proudly funded by the Movember Foundation and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.